Marc Jacobs Beauty ~ Eye-Conic Multi-Finish Eyeshadow Palette | Review

Marc Jacobs Beauty Eye-Conic Eyeshadow Palettes in Scandalust, Glambition, Smartorial
Marc Jacobs Beauty is one of my most loved beauty brands so I absolutely pounced on the Sephora website when these were released for VIB Rouges. Five of these are now available to VIBRs and VIBs on Sephora's website.

Marc Jacobs recently discontinued his original Style Eye-Con palettes, an announcement I was quite devastated to hear. But luckily, we have six new ones to enjoy and play with! The brand has taken these seven shadow palettes to the next level by including four finishes to create the ultimate look. An excerpt from the description on Sephora's website reads:

A long-wearing eyeshadow palette that features seven shades, including four fashion finishes, velvet, satin, silk, and lame—to layer and dress your eyes. The eyeshadows in each Eye-Conic palette are inspired by textiles and layering, and come in four fashion finishes so you can be the ultimate stylist, too. Finish your look and let it stand out by layering a bright color or lamé pop on top. 
Marc Jacobs Beauty Eye-Conic Eyeshadow Palettes in Scandalust, Glambition, Smartorial
A few differences between the previous Eye-Con No. 7 palettes: The price was decreased by $10 (used to be $59) for slightly less quantity of product (0.21 oz. vs. 0.25 oz).I don't think the formula necessarily needed to be revamped, but I do welcome the addition of the extra silky shades that are present in each palette. Each shadow has a name now which makes it easier to  identify which product is which.

One thing I like about these palettes is they can easily be used for a subtle look or can be built up for a blown out, night-on-the-town look. It takes a lot of the pressure away in the morning when I'm getting ready. It's like on certain days I have to check myself: Can I handle a pigmented palette when I'm only half awake? Will I have to wear my glasses today because I went waaaay overboard with shadow? Do I want a more subtle wash of color but know it won't turn out that way because I picked a palette that forces me to be extra delicate when applying each shade? These are the things I have to think about at 7:45AM when I'm sort of kind of barely awake and planning out how my morning is going to go.

Marc Jacobs Beauty Eye-Conic Eyeshadow Palettes in Scandalust, Glambition, Smartorial
I bought three of these lovelies: 

Glambition
Scandalust
Smartorial


Glambition
This is the palette for the natural beauty girl (or guy!). It's perfect for every day wear, even if you already have a ton of neutral palettes. I didn't have trouble with any of the shades except the darkest shade does produce a little bit of fallout so be prepared to dust some powder away. If you liked The Lolita from the previous Eye-Con No. 7 collection, you'll like this one; it's like The Lolita but with a little extra flair. Tarte's Tartelette In Bloom is similar as well. If you enjoy the In Bloom you'll enjoy Glambition. Similar styles yet somehow they are different. And yes, you absolutely need both.
Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Swatches - Glambition
Scandalust
If palettes like ABH Modern Renaissance and Smashbox's Ablaze are your speed, you'll want to add this one to your arsenal. Unlike MR, it's a "safe" palette, meaning that in the early hours of the AM you don't have to check yourself before application to ensure you can handle a pigmented palette. It can be built up and down nicely and with only 7 shades, there's some good options here for how you want your look to turn out. Use the tan shade in the outer v if you want a lighter more toned-down look (I like this kind of look in the summertime) with a little shimmer in the outer crease below the brow bone.

The darkest shade (Little Miss) is a brown plum that, while pigmented, is a little dry and takes a little to blend it out. I am a bit dry in my outer V area so this may be more of an issue for me than it will be for others who don't have this problem. There is hardly any fallout but there is kick up (though not as much as I experience with MR). I know some people are over the warm shade trend, but I'm definitely not and even when the trend has died warm tones will always be shades that give me life.
Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Swatches - Scandalust
Smartorial
I bought this one on a whim because I wanted a palette that wasn't really for every day use but rather for fancy pants types of events (because I attend Red Carpet events so often I absolutely needed to add this to my arsenal). I feel that this palette, for me, can be used on a more every day basis but only in small doses. For instance, I'll wear the bright blue cobalt shade (Power Platforms) on my lower lash line in conjunction with warm brown shades from another palette on the lid. Or the turquoise shades look great on the lid. I'll wear one of those coupled with cool tone neutral brown shades on the remainder of my eye and it creates a lovely, elegant look.

All the shades in this palette in one look doesn't work great for me for an everyday look at my corporate job, but it does for a fun night out where I want an overblown look, or as a mix-and-match palette (hint, if you need an excuse to buy more than one of these: use the warm browns in Scandalust or the cool tone neutrals in Glambition in conjunction with shades in Smartorial for maximum potential). The cobalt blue makes for a nice, vibrant addition but even if you don't use this bright shade in your look the turquoise shades can create a nice effect that will carry a look on its own.

Performance-wise, a couple of these shades are a tad on the dry side but nothing that makes them difficult to work with. Make Sure requires a little extra effort to blend and Power Platforms will apply more sheer but can be built up. If you're looking for more of an "pigment" type of shadow in terms of how opaque it is on first application, this one won't bring 100% opacity with one swipe. I actually prefer the extra control because with a bright blue shade like this, I want it to be a bit more forgiving.
Marc Jacobs Eye-Conic Swatches - Smartorial
For any of these palettes, foiling the shimmers or applying with your finger works best. This is my go-to application method for pretty much any shimmer or glitter shade. In a rush? I apply with my finger. If I have an extra couple minutes to foil, then I'll foil. I find I'll always get a bit more out of the shade if I apply this way than with any bare eye shadow brush.

Overall, I do wish the old Eye Con No. 7 palettes hadn't been discontinued as those have become very near and dear to my heart, but I am very pleased with these new additions to the collection and am happy with my purchases. I'm tempted to pick up one more though I'm unsure which (Edgitorial keeps calling my name as does the purple one, Frivoluxe, which I can never remember how to spell). Perhaps during the Winter Sale I'll snag one more <3

You can purchase these on Sephora's website

Comments

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving