Too Faced ~ White Chocolate Palette | Review


I bought this product even after the White Chocolate Chip palette fiasco last year. Granted, I had pretty low expectations when I ordered this one. Unfortunately, my expectations proved to be right on target and this palette is just as terrible and soul destroying as I had thought. I wanted to like this. SO MUCH. Such disappoint, much sadness Too Faced.

For those new to the Too Faced "White Chocolate" scene, the brand released a mini version of this palette last year. It was $26 and Limited Edition and absolutely terrible. It came in a plastic case (the White Chocolate Chip palette is metal like the other Chocolate palettes by Too Faced). Some of the eye shadows from the "Chip" palette are present in this palette. I don't know if they are the same exact formula, but neither are impressive to me.

On a positive note, if you're into the signature scent of Too Faced's chocolate products, this one won't disappoint. It does smell like white chocolate and I enjoy that thoroughly <3


The shades in this palette were poor performing, just like they were in the mini version. So disappointing. Many of the shades didn't last all day, even with primer, and began fading about halfway through the day. There's a lot of chunky and chalkiness happening here. A lot of fallout, fading, sheer application, blending away, you name it, this palette has got it all.


In the swatches below, each swatch is at least 2 or 3 swipes in the pan and on my forearm. 

The shimmers pay out with 2 swipes but the mattes really needed at least 3. Some needed more (looking at you Smoked Sea Salt, Guilt Free and Lavender Cake). Darker skinned folks, these shades will not show up on you without heavy building up, and maybe not even then. I'm light in skin tone and I needed to work to get these to show up decently on me.

The matte crease shades I used, Cake Batter and Guilt Free, were extremely sheer. So was Chocolate Syrup and Smoked Sea Salt, which were even more disappointing. For me, I used Smoked Sea Salt in the outer V for a softer look or up in the crease to add depth without looking too dark and overdone. It worked OK but didn't blend all that well and seems to work best when patted on a bit instead of blended out with a brush, which will sheer it out.


The lavender shade, Lavender Cake, which is probably one of the shades that drew people to this palette, is sheer and blends away very easily. I used it in my outer crease, attempting to add a pop of color, and had to put on at least eight layers for the color to show anywhere near how I wanted it to. The first three or so layers just blended away and made me look like I had dead eyes. I eventually started patting the shadow on in the area I wanted, with my finger, then blended out the edges with a brush to smooth it out. This worked, sort of, but before the end of the day arrived, I just looked like I had a mild case of dead eyes.

Mint Chocolate works decently as a liner shade, but if you want to use it in your crease it will be sheer and blend out. Similar to Lavender Cake in this way--you can use it for a small pop of color in the upper crease but it will sheer out as you blend and won't apply very evenly. It's a very powdery shade and makes a mess easily.

Sugared Raisin performed quite poorly. I used my finger to apply it as I normally would with a formula of this variety, and the fallout went all over my under-eye area. Then, by the end of the day, it was as if the shimmer part of the shade stayed on but the icy lavender color had dissipated and instead, the matte shade I had used in my crease had traveled down onto my lid, mixing with the shimmer. It looked like I had all of one color (the matte shade) but with shimmer (from the shimmer shade) all over my eye and crease area instead of separate shadows. Exotica performed similarly.


The Raspberry Rose shimmer shade performed better than Frosted Raisin, but was still not anything to get me excited. The pink in the shade didn't show up as well on the lid as it does in the pan and it seemed to fade away fast. This one had less fallout than Frosted Raisin when applied with a finger, but sparkle particles still made their way onto my under eye area.

Frosted Apricot appears in the Sweet Peach palette and is basically the same shade. I like this shade and apply it to my lid with my finger.

Glaze and Banana Date are fine, standard base shades. Cookie Dough is probably the only other matte shade that performed well and worked for me.

Indulge performed better than the other shimmers but still wasn't stellar.

Pearly Candy is chunky and prone to flakiness when applying, so it can make a mess.

Black Sugar is the typical black sparkle shade that appears in many Too Faced palettes. It doesn't apply evenly and is super prone to creating a disaster. I tend to find this type of shade just too high maintenance for me.


I'm perfectly fine with shades that need building up, but these are just duds. A couple are decent performers that I would be happy with if the entire product was solid. Hell, I can accept a couple dud shades in a palette like this (and with Too Faced, I usually expect 2 or 3 "meh" shades). But when only a couple are decent and the rest are somewhat awful? It's a hard pass for me.

The packaging is of course, adorable. It reminds me of petit fours that my mom would order for us for Christmastime. I just wish the rest of the product was as awesome.

Some reviews I've read remind me of the fiasco with the Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture palette; that you just need to know how to work with pastel shades for this palette to work. That may be true, but that doesn't excuse the short shelf life of the shades on the eyes and the fact that they blend themselves away so easily. So yeah, this is going back. Sorry Too Faced, please don't release another White Chocolate palette of any kind until you've figured out a formula that works.

For more Too Faced product reviews . . . 
Just Peachy Velvet Mattes Eyeshadow Palette & Sweetie Pie Bronzer
Sweet Peach Palette
White Chocolate Chip Palette

Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving