Pat McGrath Labs MTHRSHP Sublime Bronze Temptation Eyeshadow Palette | Review



Three more "mini" Mothership palettes were added to the fleet of Pat McGrath Labs eyeshadow palettes are part of the "Opulence" collection for holiday 2018. All three palettes are Limited Edition and come in stunningly designed red, blue, or pink packaging.

I picked up the red one which seemed to be the most versatile and aligns best with how I like to use my palettes (a wearable brown matte with a couple of other shades of varying colors and textures). This palette also reminds me of Christmas, with it's deep pink-burgundy and emerald green shades, so it seemed like an appropriate palette to pick up for the holidays.


In this palette, you get four neutral shades: two mattes and two metallics (one of which is a duo-chrome), and then two metallic jewel-toned shades. The color story of this palette screams Christmas to me, but the undertones of reds and bronzes and pinks and the overall tawny nature of this palette make me feel like it's a good, all-around palette for the Fall into Winter seasons and even for Summer. It reminds me of Fall leaves and Christmas parties; hot toddy's and warm apple cider.



The Pat McGrath matte formula is one of my favorites. Dense and almost "wet" feeling, like extremely soft, smooth, damp earth is what they feel like to the touch. The blendability is fantastic; you really can use just one matte shade for the transition, crease, and outer v if you want to as you can easily diffuse the shadow to soften any harsh lines.


The metallic and duo-chrome shades do need a sticky primer of sorts. I use my finer to apply, or a dampened brush will do. The burgundy and turquoise-green shadows aren't bright and vivid, but are rather muted as the undertone of these shades leans brown (burgundy) and brown-grey (turquoise). The effect is quite stunning. It reminds me of when an item is painted one color but it chips off to reveal another shade of that color below. I see this a lot with candle holders and for some reason these shadows remind me of that. Almost antique-like. 


The metallic and duo-chrome shades work well with the mattes. This isn't one of those palettes where you have that "odd one out" shade that kind of goes with the others but also doesn't really. They all work well together and tell the same story. 

While $55 for 6 shadows is a lot, they are of fantastic quality. I always stand by my review of the 6-pan palettes over the 10-pan palettes as they are more often than not the more wearable and more price-conscious products in comparison to the 10-pans which are $125. 

For reviews of other Pat McGrath palettes, you can find the 10-pan Mothership V Bronze Seduction review, and reviews of 3 of her other "mini" MTHRSHP palettes in Subliminal, Subversive, and Sublime

Thank you for reading!


Comments

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving