Too Hot To Handle! | Drybar Big Crimpin' Crimping Iron


Drybar has come out with a new, Limited Edition hair crimping tool! The Big Crimpin' Crimping Iron promises a customized, simple styling experience. I bought this on a whim. I've never really had an underlying desire for a hair crimping tool, but I bought this regardless because, who doesn't need a hair crimper these days?!


The description from the Sephora website . . . 
Big Crimpin' Crimping Iron features ionic technology to seal the cuticle while styling. The 1.75-inch plates and ergonomic handle make crimping fast and easy, while the five temperature settings allow for custom styling. It instantly creates the perfect crimp—adding texture and volume for a head-turning look. 

This crimping iron features a professional-length nine-foot cord and comes with a two-year limited warranty.

Key features . . . 
- Seals the cuticle 
- Allows for fast and easy styling 
- Heats up to 450°F/232°C 

How to use . . . 
-Work in small one-inch sections.
-Squeeze the crimper over desired section of hair for three to five seconds, then release.
-To add crimped texture, start at the roots and gradually clamp down the hair shaft to ends. Or, simply crimp the ends.
-To add volume, use the crimper in small, underlying sections at the crown where you would normally backcomb or tease. Smooth hair over the top.



I can say this is probably one of the easiest tools to use. Simply press the power button to turn on/off (the button is just by my thumb in the below pic) and then this little button here (see pic below, the button is right next to my pinky finger) unlocks the crimper so you can open it. Simply slide the button to lock/unlock the crimper.

Just above the power button are light up buttons that reflect the temperature of the tool. There are 5 of these light up buttons. As you push the power button, the lights will turn on, moving from the lowest temp to the highest temp.


The instructions say to hold the crimper for 3 - 5 seconds then release, but that is almost too long. I had it on the second highest setting and only had to hold for 1 - 2 seconds and had perfect crimps when released. You can almost just keep moving in a quick motion down the strand of hair, pushing down, then releasing, then moving down on the strand.

I like to use this tool to add a little extra textured volume to my crown area, especially in the back where my hair can lay a little flat. I will crimp all the way down except for the bottom inch which I leave uncrimped. I'll then use my straightener to separate the strands so I get a nice, fluffy, textured style that reminds me of a different take on the beachy waves look.


I think the head of the tool is a little large but that's more my personal preference than anything else. The larger head makes it a tad tricky to target certain areas but it is VERY easy to quickly get the entire head done, even if you have a full head of long, thick, unruly hair like I do.

My only other gripe is that my fingers constantly hit the buttons when using the tool.

If you have volume issues with your hair, this is a great tool for adding volume. The added texture will really depend on how far down each strand you go. You could just use this at the base of your crown to add volume and the crimped style won't show as much, but that's also not as much fun =P


Remember to use your favorite hair styling products, especially heat protecting products as this is a hot tool. If using regularly, be especially sure to invest in these products to prevent damage to your lovely hair. I use Bumble & Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil primer as I have quite coarse hair, particularly the middle layers. This will help to prevent damage to the hair when using a hot tool, including hair dryers. Apply to hair when damp.

Verb has many stellar products at more affordable prices (they are also Cruelty Free!). Check out the Ghost Prep primer which will help protect hair from heat. Use the same way as the B&B primer--apply to hair when damp. Also, take a look at their Ghost Oil product which will revitalize hair by locking in moisture, helping to keep hair from getting dry. I use this product on the ends of my hair (when damp) as that area tends to get dry the fastest.

The Big Crimpin' Crimping Iron is sold at Sephora and Nordstrom.

Drybar is a cruelty free brand <3

Comments

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving