LORAC ~ Mega PRO Palette 3 | Ulta Exclusive

LORAC Mega PRO 3
I’ve been using this palette all week as I always do with new products and I am ready to accept this new brand into my makeup family.


First off, I’ll say that this is the first Lorac product I have tried (don’t worry, I’m judging myself too here) and I’m glad I gave this brand a shot because I am loving the formula. It reminds me very much of my MAC C’est Chic palette (review located here) so if you like the Lorac formula check that bad girl out as well. If you’re familiar with the MAC palette, it is very blendable, buildable, and while there is kickup there is very little fallout. The Lorac palette is similar but has quite a bit of fallout so you do really have to make sure you tap off all that excess powder. Every now and then I forget to tap off and while I keep a separate fluffy setting brush specifically for brushing away fallout, the fallout is real so be aware of that. My method is to tap off the excess on different areas on the back of my hand, then I can dip back into that shade, tap off, and apply so I don’t waste product. The fallout pieces do transfer quite well back onto the brush.

LORAC Mega Pro 3
Also, don’t underestimate the value of using your finger to apply those metallic shades. I find they apply much better with a finger, especially if you’re just looking to add a light sheen. Otherwise, you may require a wet brush. Do remember to use primer. This is another thing I sometimes forget to apply in the morning--I’ll do my brow bone area and then get ready to do my crease and only then remember to use primer. USE PRIMER. The shades do not show nearly as nicely without it. I’m unsure exactly how long the shades last without primer but I recommend using one regardless. I use the Urban Decay Primer Potion if you need a recommendation.


Color-wise, I adore neutral shade palettes. I feel that many reviewers are saying it’s an awesome palette quality-wise but that it lacks that little something extra to make it unique. I do not feel this is a palette that is meant to have those little added pops of color. For me, if I want extra color I go to specific palettes I have--my Urban Decay Vice 3 palette or I grab some of the many color singles I own for this specific reason. There seems to be an interesting trend where people want more neutral, matte shades, but they don’t want shades that are similar to other shades in the palette especially when those similar shades could be used to provide color. I guess I see these more neutral types of palettes and “color palettes” as two separate product types to fulfill my needs. Sure, it’s nice to have a few colors to play with in a more ordinary, neutral palette, but I generally buy specific palettes for added color to use in conjunction. If you look at the just announced Urban Decay Full Spectrum palette, really, what are you going to do with that palette alone on any kind of regular basis? Maybe if you’re in a certain type of job where you can wear rainbow princess unicorn colors all the time, sure, you might get a ton of use out of it and if so, I’m kinda jealous. But when I look at that palette I am thinking one, it’s pretty, and two, I am going to mostly use this to add that pop of color to a more neutral look from another kit I own, like this Lorac palette. But hey, Halloween is coming just after the UD palette launch so maybe I’ll put it to good use right away after all!
LORAC Mega Pro 3


Number 2 is important here because the UD palette is an easy palette to buy, use a bit, leave on a shelf, and 5 years later it’s not even half used up. The only real every day look you could potentially create with just the Full Spectrum palette is probably by using the grey shades for the bulk of the eye look. Literally, those shades are not the focus of this palette. I’m not advocating that brands shouldn’t continue to add little fun colors that perfectly match the shades in their more neutral palettes, I’m simply saying that we as cosmetics users can be creative by utilizing color palettes we have purchased, because let’s be honest here, we are going to buy them anyway so we may as well put them to work.


I do think Lorac could have added one or two other little gems like Pomegranate into this palette; a matching yet colorful blue or purple could have been a great addition to go with the darker navy and purple shades.


Packaging-wise, Lorac is Lorac. They use the same packaging style over and over so while I would love for them to reconsider their approach to packaging, this is probably what we can expect moving forward. There is nothing wrong with the packaging, it’s basically a standard booklet style with a mirror. I do love the white and am working hard to keep it clean, but expect the inside to get messy.


Comments

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving