Jeffree Star "Blue Blood" Eye Shadow Palette | First Look


The new Jeffree Star "Blue Blood" palette released on Friday, 3/29/2019 and like its sister palette, "Blood Sugar", it sold out within minutes.

I used a new service that Beautylish is providing for those living in the certain pockets of the Bay Area. It's a 0-day delivery service which means that you get your package the same day you placed the order! I made my order at about 11AM and it was delivered to my house by 3:05PM. That is SUPER awesome. If you live in one of the areas that are serviced, I highly recommend trying it out!

Now, onto the palette!


The packaging is creative, unique, and while a little bulky, if the size of "Blood Sugar" didn't bother you, this shouldn't either. The palette comes in a royal blue box that has that rubbery-cardboard feel to it. The case of the palette itself is made of plastic (I think) or maybe a glossed over durable cardboard? I can't quite tell, but it feels like plastic. It's shaped like a coffin but has sort of an "ice princess" feel to it, which I like a lot. If Queen Frostine (Candy Land) were to die, this is what she would be buried in. I also love the little lock which you just flip up to open the palette. The palette is a little difficult to open (it sticks a little), so just make sure the lock is up and then pull.


As this is a first impressions post, I haven't actually used the palette much yet, but I wanted to get pics out there for those who are anticipating restocks. Looking at initial swatches only, the formula seems to be similar to "Blood Sugar". The mattes are a little dusty (but not powdery). Some are more buttery than others (namely, the neutral mattes and pastels are more buttery than the darker mattes which are more dusty and chalky to the touch, but I would say that J*'s matte formula definitely leans more towards the "dry and chalky" side of the spectrum). The metallic shadows need a couple layers when applying, but they are beautiful once you build them up. The glitter shadows are glittery, a bit crumbly, and do get everywhere due to the fallout (the binders on these shadows are lacking a little bit).

  • The shade "Blue Blood" swatched really well--full opacity in one swipe (the swatch on my arm of this shade is only one layer)
  • But then shades like "Blue Monday" and "Flourishing" needed a few layers to build up to full opacity
  • The grayer shades (Power, Cremated, Undertaker) are drier in formula (almost chalk-like) than their neutral and pastel counterparts which are more buttery (though still a bit dry)
  • The pastel and neutral colored shades need to be built up to get full opacity. "Mintea" fades pretty fast on my eyes (unsure about the other as I haven't used them yet)

I think this is a cool collection and I'm glad I bit the bullet on it, but I am concerned about the level of fading, especially with the pastel shades. The first look I did I used "Mintea" and it packs on easily but fades fast.

I'll write up a more robust post when I've used the product more thoroughly, but for now, I hope this first look helps you out =)

Jeffree Star Cosmetics is a Cruelty Free brand <3

Thanks for reading!

Comments