Highlighter Round Up! Feat. "Lilac Geode" by Becca Cosmetics, "Alba" by Natasha Denona & Urban Decay


I was originally going to pass on Becca's latest addition to their highlighter collection, the Limited Edition shade "Lilac Geode". Convinced it would be too similar to their most recent addition ("Prismatic Amethyst") I declined to order the morning of the launch. My friend, however, told me how pretty it is and that it is, in fact, different from Prismatic Amethyst, and proceeded to send me swatches. Luckily, Ulta had a 5x all products included event just a couple weeks after the release and I added this little gem to my order. I am happy to say it is different from Prismatic Amethyst and is one of my favorite, "unicorn" style highlighters in my collection.

Lilac Geode I wouldn't really classify as a lilac shade though, it's almost like a lilac-pink with a strong gold shift. The gold shift pulls strongly on me, the pink-lilac shade is more of a subtle undertone. This one is unique to my collection, different enough that, as a makeup collector, I did justify spending $38 on it and keeping it, yet if you have a handful of the others in the Becca collection that are similar, it's not a "must have". In the below picture we have:

Rose Quartz - Upper Left
Rose Quartz Flashes Seashell - Upper Right
Lilac Geode - Bottom Left
Amethyst Flashes Geode - Bottom Right


Lilac Geode is no more glittery than other Becca highlighters. I would say it's less glittery than Prismatic Amethyst which I find to be the most glittery of the bunch, It's probably about the same amount of glittery-ness as Rose Quartz.

I also recently picked up the Natasha Denona Duo Glow in the shade "Alba" which is described as a golden highlight with a coral undertone. I wouldn't say that the coral is really an undertone as it's so vibrant and pigmented that it is more reminiscent of a blush with a golden sheen. The golden sheen (highlight) is so intense though that using this as a blush is almost overkill. I tried it once and I felt like a goddess of the sun at sunset, but it really was a bit too much for my tastes.

Compared to the other peach-toned highlighters in my collection, Urban Decay's "Fireball" and the Becca "Champagne Dream Flashes Bellini", you can see how intense and pigmented Alba is so definitely go in with a light hand. I like to dust this on over a neutral blush to just add a tiny hint of coral and gold sheen to the look, but for me it doesn't work well for an all over highlighter (under the eyebrows, tip of the nose, cupid's bow areas). I think it will compliment many skin tones, fair, dark, or otherwise but it's not meant to look like a natural highlighter.

I'll also point out how nice the packaging is. It's not metal like Becca's highlighter style, more like a heavier plastic, but it's pretty and fits the aesthetic of the highlighter.



Fireball or Champagne Dream Flashes Bellini, while not natural highlighters, would be closer to a natural highlighter than Alba. Fireball is a nice, standard peachy shade with a pinkish undertone. It's very pretty and more on the subtle side. Champagne Dream Flashes Bellini is the lightest of the three peach highlighters in my collection and it's the most subtle of the three UNTIL it hits the light, then it turns into a BAM "in your face" highlight. The shift is absolutely gorgeous too and really makes this a unique shade in a world full of unicorn-loving highlighter fans.

Natural Lighting
Indoor Lighting
Bathroom Lighting

Top Half (T - B)
Prismatic Amethyst
Rose Quartz
Rose Quartz Flashes Seashell
Lilac Geode
Amethyst Flashes Geode

Bottom Half (T - B)
Alba
Fireball
Champagne Dream Flashes Bellini


Which are your favorite highlighters? Do any of these spark your fancy? Leave your thoughts in the comments! <3

For more magical highlighters in my collection, please refer to these posts featuring Colourpop & Kat Von D's "Alchemist Palette", Cover FX "Custom Enhancer Drops", and for additional shades in Becca's "Lightchaser" collection

Comments

Post a Comment

Recent Posts Readers Are Loving